The Sargood Story

“A long history of Community Support”

1916

Frederick George Sargood purchases a magnificent block of waterfront land at Collaroy and builds a sandstone beach house.

1918

Frederick Sargood donates his beach house and its furniture to the War Chest as a place of recuperation for returning servicemen. He stipulates that when it is no longer needed for this purpose, it should be transferred to the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children.

1920 – 1922

The remainder of the current site is gifted to the Hospital either directly or using publically donated funds. The Children’s Annexe is opened by the Governor of NSW, Sir Walter Davidson, in the presence of Frederick Sargood and his wife Lillian.

1923 – 1959

With the help and support of volunteers from the community, thousands of children suffering from TB and polio are nursed back to health. Donations enable the Collaroy Children’s Convalescent Home Annexe to be expanded.

1960 – 1998

A vaccination for Polio and TB had been introduced and the site is declared “surplus to requirements” by the Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital. NSW Disability Services use the site to run a day centre for people with intellectual disabilities. Successive governments attempt to rezone the land for sale as a high-rise development.

 

1999 – 2010

The Collaroy Community Group (now the Sargood Foundation) is formed. Its vision is to continue the land’s original purpose as a place of healing. The Foundation identified spinal cord injury rehabilitation as a primary usage and ran workshops to ascertain user design requirements for a world first facility. The Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation, facilitated raising in excess of $20 million for the design and construction of the facility.

2011

The land is transferred to the NSW Lifetime Care and Support Authority (now icare) for the sole use of Sargood on Collaroy, to be governed via a unique partnership between the Lifetime Care and Support Authority (50%), and Private Benefactor (25%) and the Sargood Foundation, representing the community (25%).

2014

Construction begins and Royal Rehab is appointed as the operator of the facility with mutually agreed objectives for achieving world first outcomes.

2016 – 2017

On December 2, 2016, Sargood on Collaroy is officially opened by NSW Premier Mike Baird. On March, 1 2017, the first guests arrive. The Foundation continues to raise funds to finance guest stays, upgrade equipment an create education programs encouraging the pathway to independence and return to employment.

Invest in the future of people with spinal CORD injury